SLIDER

L.A. Life: Paint Nite

Tuesday, December 2, 2014



Recently, thanks to an email from Groupon, and also just because we wanted to do something outside of the usual dinner and drinks, a girlfriend and I decided to give Paint Nite a try.  For $25, we got to sit out on the lovely patio at Maggiano's at The Grove, with all the art supplies we needed, and an instructor to walk our artistically challenged asses through the process of painting our version of the above masterpiece. No lie, I suck at art.  And, I never bothered to try one of these painting and wine things, because they seemed kind of cheesy and dumb.  I didn't think struggling through painting something way out of my league could be fun, no matter how much wine was involved.  However, after my Paint Nite foray, I'm definitely going again, and here's why: 

1) Paint Nite switches locations.  They host events at different restaurants around town instead of at the same art studio over and over like some other paint/wine things.  You can check out new restaurants AND order food and wine, not just BYOB. Have I mentioned I love food? 

2) Painting is relaxing. This ain't like painting your house, which I agree is a hellish experience. Painting something pretty on a blank canvas is surprisingly calming.  And lord knows I am one of those people who ALWAYS needs to take it down a notch. 

3) No one cares if you suck because they're busy trying not to paint a shitty painting themselves.  Also, chances are there will be someone there whose painting sucks worse than yours. In the end it doesn't matter. Everyone sucks. It's just fun. 

4) it's a fun way to catch up with your friends or meet new people. Since you can sit at communal tables, and you're all  in pretty close quarters, it's kind of hard not to chat with your neighbors. Feeling antisocial? Need to vent to your girl about that one-night-stand gone wrong without judgmental strangers eavesdropping on your convo? Then just sit at a table for two.  It's pretty much whatever you want it to be.

5) When it's over, you have accomplished more than just cleaning your plate and cruising for a hangover.  I actually painted some shit, that I never would have been able to on my own.  Your painting WILL come out better than you think it will, and you'll feel proud of yourself, not just drunk and full. 

In all, Paint Nite isn't the chicest GNO you could plan, but it's wine, food, and fun company, and I personally don't need much more than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...